THE CHINESE FISHING NETS
In use since 1350. Built in teak and bamboo they work on the principle of
level. It's impressive to observe the spectacle as the fishermen let
down the net into the sea and as they pull it back up. Usually fishing net
is of property of 5/10 families who share the fish. You can buy the fresh
fish on the spot and have it cooked in restaurants.
SANTA CRUZ BASILICA
The Santa Cruz Basilica is a historic church that was built by the
Portuguese. The church was elevated to a cathedral by Pope Paul IV in
1558 AD. In 1795 AD, it fell into the hands of the British when they
took over Cochin and was demolished.
About a hundred years later, Bishop Dom Gomez Ferreira commissioned
a new building at the same site in 1887 AD. The church was proclaimed a
Basilica in 1984 by Pope John Paul II.
SAN FRANCIS CHURCH
St. Francis Church is a granite church set on quiet lawns amidst the
bustle of Fort Kochi. Originally named as Santo Antonio, this meanwhile
protestant church was originally built by the Europeans in India.
Vasco da Gama was buried here in 1524 AD. Though 14 years later his
mortal remains were taken to Portugal, the carved gravestone can still
be seen in the church.
It also has crypts of Portugese nobles. St. Francis Church was the first
church to have been built in the new European influenced style and
tradition. The original wooden building of 1510 AD was replaced by the
present building around 1546 AD.
Under the Dutch, the church was renovated and became protestant in
1663 AD. Inside the church, various tombstone inscriptions have been
placed in the walls, the earliest of which dates back to 1562 AD.
The impressive façade with multi curved sides became the model for
most of the churches in India. Now a protected monument, the Church is
presently owned by the Church of South India (CSI).
A cenotaph erected in 1920 AD, in memory of the residents of Cochin
who fell in the First Great War was unveiled by the Governor of Madras.
The boundary walls were erected in 1924 AD.
There are regular worship meetings in the church every Sunday and
commemorative days. The church remains open on week days for visitors
MATTANCHERRI PALACE (DUTCH PALACE)
Built by the Portuguese in 1557 and presented to Raja Veera Kerala
Varma of Kochi, the palace was renovated in 1663 by the Dutch. On
display here are beautiful murals depicting scenes from the epics,
Ramayana and Mahabharata and some of the puranic Hindu legends. The
palace is open for public viewing from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. all week days
THE JEWISH SYNAGOGUE
The Jewish Synagogue, the oldest Synagogue in the common wealth
countries was built in 1568 AD. Located at Mattancherry, the Synanogue
still has the scrolls of the Old Testament and the copper plates, which
recorded the grants of privilege, bequeathed by the Kochi rulers.
Rebuilt by Dutch after having been partially destroyed in the war of
1662 AD, the exquisite hand painted blue Chinese tiles offer an
interesting sight. In mid-18th century, the clock tower was added.
Not one of the nearly two hundred year old tiles resembles another.
There are several finely wrought gold and silver crowns gifted to the
synanogue by the various patrons.
The Synagogue is open to public from 10 am to 12 noon and 3 pm to 5 pm
on all days except Fridays, Saturdays and Jewish holidays. You are
required to leave your bags and photo cameras outside. to enter the
synagogue your legs and shoulders need to be covered!
OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST IN KOCHI
Fort Kochi: Dutch cemetery, Art Galleries,
Mattancherry: Bazar road and its spice market, Jewish cemetery,
Ferry from Customs Jetty to Ernakulam: watch Dolphins
Ernakulam: Broadway and its old local market, old synagogue in jew
Willingdon Island: Harbour
tourism & hospitality services pvt ltd
meLting meEting point & machu's art gallery
s.thamaraparambu 11/144 kochi_682001 +91 9847555475
HISTORY AND LEGENDS ABOUT MONUMENTS
IN FORT KOCHI